Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Amona & the Desecration of The Name

I woke up today to find that my beloved homeland has fallen deeper into disgrace. Words cannot express the despair that dwells within my soul. In the footage from the Amona expulsion, I witnessed the supposed protectors of our Jewish nation picking a fight with women and children. I witnessed anti-terror units beating Jews and giving Hamas yet another reason to claim victory. How can such a thing have happened to Jews in a Jewish nation? How can those who have vowed to protect their own perform such a horrible act of chillul Hashem? When a Jew is knocked down, the nations of the world mock Hashem. We are tied to Him, and Him to us. When our names are mocked, so is His own. I am so utterly ashamed that I do not know what to tell the non-Jews. How can I even begin to explain to them the desecration of the covenant? How can I even try to explicate with sound reasoning as to how we have dropped to such a low level? It is times like these when my soul longs for Moshiach. I desperately know that we need our promised strong leader to be revealed and to come to our rescue. Yet, I have found that I am ashamed to ask Hashem for this. There are countless opinions as to what must happen before we are deserving of Moshiach, but putting this aside, how can I declare to Hashem that we are worthy? To ask for such is to ask Hashem to save us from ourselves. Miracle after miracle was given to us, and yet we throw it back up in the face of Hashem. Is this truly the new definition of our people? A people who have forgotten His promises? No doubt the secular Zionist movement failed us, but we should have expected as much. Without an unabated love for Hashem and without the belief that our covenant is the very tie that binds us to the land, what good is Zionism? If your basis for the love of the land is historical, your love will fade away. But if your love for it based upon Torah, your love will last forever. As an American Jew, I am historically tied to America as much as I am to Israel. Does this mean that America is my promised land? What makes Israel my final destination and America yet a stepping-stone in my life is the fact that Hashem did not promise America to me, he promised Eretz Yisrael to my ancestors, my descendants, and myself. That is the only concrete claim that I have to my beloved land. The Creator of the universe saw fit to make a small strip of land surrounded by hostile neighbors my promise of safety. He vowed to make the desert bloom because of my very presence! How can I find the nerve to ask for more than this? He saw fit to give me a gift that is greater than anything that could possibly be surpassed by mortals. He promised me protection from the wolves if I would only believe in His promise to me, and keep his mitzvos. We have failed Hashem because we have failed our own non-religious brethren. We accepted the fact that they were Jews and yet we refused to recognize that it was our mission to bring them back to Torah observance. In failing them, we have failed ourselves. No longer do we dread the fascists breaking down our doors. It is now a Jew who does it instead. To make matters worse, we cannot blame the left or center for our ills. We need to look inside ourselves to seek the blame. We knew good and well, Ariel Sharon in power or not, that the next expulsion was approaching. And what did we do on the right? Nothing! Our leadership on the right refused to come together because they were more worried about who would hold or lose cabinet seats than they were about losing the very land they took an oath to protect. What a shameful people we have become! The chickens have come home to roost, and we opened the door for them. When the tzahal and mishtara follow the orders of expulsion, don’t waste your breath screaming at them for the chillul Hashem that they are performing. We need to scream at ourselves. We are to blame, and yet we refuse to recognize our own ignorance. And because our own refusal of self-introspection, we will sit here and do nothing once again. How can we find the nerve to ask G-d to help us when we won’t help ourselves? Stop asking when enough will be enough for the nation. Instead, ask when will enough be enough for us on the right. We are the Torah observant minority, and yet the responsibility of the nation rests on our very shoulders. We still believe in the promises of G-d, and it is our duty to Him to sacrifice all for the sake of the covenant. If we do not do so, then all of our tears will have been shed in vain, and we will find ourselves staring at our own demise.


, , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Stevin said...

You've raised a really good point here, and I think that Moshiach is the center of it. As American Jews, is our heart bound to two homelands? Can we have the best of both worlds, and really expect things to be ready for him?
It's not my responsibility to worry about my Reform Jewish friends, because they may never change. My heart is my sole worry, and I must make strong decisions.
You've done it, Tovya, and I thank you. Eitan has helped a great deal, too. I'm going to work diligently on preparing for Aliyah. From this point forward, I'm going to concentrate on preparing to move my family to Israel.

2/01/2006 06:01:00 PM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

Excellent, well I am certainly glad to have been a positive influence. :-)

2/01/2006 06:22:00 PM  
Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

: (

Words fail me.

2/01/2006 07:37:00 PM  
Anonymous kahaneloyalist said...

Tovya, you are right we did fail. But in many areas. The Vilna Gaon warned in Sefer Kol HaTor that the Erev Rav would rule and bring civil war right before Mashiach's arrival, if we dont prevent it. (I fear we are too late now.)
The Ohr HaChaim HaKodesh wrote in his Perush on Shemos, if we dont expell the Goyim from Eretz Yisrael we will be expelled. In this we have failed.
In returning Jews to Torah as a whole we have failed. Though I believe Chabad does not share the blame.
In accepting the very system of Democracy, we have failed. For Democracy denies Hashem's sovreignty. By saying the people have the right to decide the laws, rather than Hashem.

2/02/2006 07:58:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

kahane loyalist: go back to your layer. You're sure to be happier and we're sure to hear less from you once you're safe inside.

Hope u kill some arabs and they butcher u in return, Eitan.

2/02/2006 08:50:00 AM  
Blogger Robin said...

bs"d

Great piece. I like your blog. It seems we are on the same wavelength. Jews in the Diaspora are as tied to Israel as Jews in Israel. We are all Bnei Brith, the children of the Covenant. The Land of Israel is for the Seed of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob wherever they may be.

When our collective eyes will be opened and no longer ignore our mutual obligations and rights we will then be united as one.

Robin from http://shemittahrediscovered.blogspot.com/

2/02/2006 09:18:00 AM  
Anonymous kahaneloyalist said...

regreg 23,While you may not like what I wrote, everything I wrote has Torah sources. For the anti-Democracy. Sefer haChinuch Mitzvah 497: The Mitzvah to appoint a King. This Mitzvah applies whenever there is a need. The Sefer also says that "it is truly a curse to be ruled by the many(Democracy)."

2/02/2006 11:55:00 AM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

Kahane Loyalist:
===============
i agree with you to a POINT.

i do think that any non-jewish citizen who will not take an oath of loyalty to the state of israel should be expelled. but i do know for a fact that there are some arabs (and from the druze side) who are fiercely loyal. there is no reason why they should leave. torah backs me up on this (and the list of requirements for a non-jewish resident is too long for this post).

as a matter of fact, this is a rule that all nations throughout the world should follow. if any citizen of any country will not take an oath of loyaty to that land, that person should be expelled immediately. if they hate their country of residence, it makes no sense for them to be there unless they have sinister plans.

but i do think all missionaries (like Jews for JC) should have their visas revoked IMMEDIATELY. they destroy the souls of our people, and are of no use to us. let them go to india and convert the hindus if they'd like, but leave us alone.

as for your comment on democracy... democracy is as good as it gets for us prior to Moshiach's reign, and the sanhedrin having it's full powers of judgement restored.

don't be impatient, the redemption shall arrive when Hashem wills it. and when the smoke clears, you'll get what you are asking for.

in the mean time, be as good a jew as you can be, and perform a mitzvah at every opportunity.

Robin:
=====
Thank you for the compliments, and you are right on target on what you said.

2/02/2006 03:22:00 PM  
Blogger abumaklubah said...

you would hate isreal stevie.

2/02/2006 04:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Libby said...

You know, I didn't see anything about Amona in the news here in NY. I just read about it on the Israeli news on the internet. It seems to me, that after Gush Katif, "disengagement" is old news, and no longer relevant, exciting, or worthy of any attention. At this rate, the whole Israel can be wiped off the map, G"F and most people wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

2/02/2006 08:32:00 PM  
Anonymous yiddishe-kop said...

This is all one big nightmare. I never thought I'd live to see the day when our Jewish leaders would turn on their own citizens. How embarrassing. Can you imagine the field day the Palestinans, Ahmadinejad, and the rest must have had with the footage of Jews spilling each other's blood in Amona?

2/02/2006 09:05:00 PM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

abuma-whatever-the-hell-your-name-is:
====================================
Excuse me, did you say something? Forgive me, i thought i heard a dog barking.

Libby:
=====
Well, they report it, but they report it with an anti-religious trip. It's sick, but it's reality. Had it been Arabs getting beat with clubs, the world would be outraged. But a few hundred Jews getting beat up? Forget about it.

2/02/2006 09:12:00 PM  
Blogger westbankmama said...

Make aliyah guys - we need you.

2/03/2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger bishop said...

a poem: (bear with me - it speaks to the topic of this post)

yall want to talk bias?
talk the media and Israel
they never hatin' Jacob
no matter how many people HE kill
with Ishmael it's a different story
it's front page - and quite gory
is it 'cause criticizing Izzy's forbidden?
or or we just doing the Jewish lobby's bidding?
or is it due to the Jews in leading media positions?
'Cause it CAN'T be 'cause of terrorism 'cause
THEY THE ONES that introduced that "stuff" to the region
you know, killing people for "no reason"
and when i say "no reason," man, i mean THE LAND
yet Izzy's the only killers we "understand"
remember that King David Hotel?
Over 80 innocents straight blown to hell
the dude that did that became the Presdient
THEY ELECT terrorists - THE PRESIDENT!!!
Like their current resident terrorist-in-chief
over 300 dead OFFICIALLY his responsibility...
I'm talking throats cut, babies cut out - THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!
yet still we lovey-dovey with that "dude"
all his "stuff" is under the bridge, it's long forgotten
yet we still can't understand WHY them people keep bombing?
they had to nix Arafat 'cause THEY couldn't deal with HIM
well how the "hell" you feel if you Palestinian, man!!!
(having to deal with Sharon)

but back to the topic, media and bias
and how the coverage of our policy is so one-sided
all you have to do to see is look at the pull-out at Gaza
of the lack of Palestinian attacks we heard NADA
but we got their (Israel's) warnings - NOTHING BUT warnings
no live pics of THAT bus bombing (perped by a settle-r)
all we got was sympathy
from this mf-ing media NOTHING BUT some empathy
for these people who had been there, what, 30 YEARS?!!!
who got A HUNDRED G's to help ease THEIR fears
so pardon me if i don't cry crocodile tears because the people THEY KICKED OUT was there for A THOUSAND YEARS!!!
and they sure didn't get no "frickin'" hundred g's to leave
THEY GOT A DAY'S NOTICE - THEN SOME BULLDOZERS - IF THEY WERE LUCKY!!!
if they weren't, well - then they got Sharon...

THANK YALL VERY MUCH!!!
(I knew yall would dig the "day's notice, then some bulldozers" part the most...as for those settlers - SCREW 'EM - THEY ALL GOT TO GO!!! JUST LIKE THE PALESTINIANS HAD TO BEFORE THE JEWS STARTING INHABITING THE HOUSES THEY LEFT WARM. (nice absentee laws, by the way - very...non-racist of yall)

(And yes, i realize that Jews and Palestinians are the same race - do you? maybe apartheid is a better term)

Finally, have yall ever sat back and looked at that word: SETTLE-R and realize what exactly that word means? It means: THAT AIN"T YOUR LAND, OR WASN"T UNTIL YOU STOLE IT!)

ps. who the "hell" are YALL to think yall can comment on my relationship to my God, THE God? i thought we were debating... and that crossed a line..although the same dude was talking about "rotting in hell" and all kinds of other righteous "stuff," so whatever... i can take it - i just ain't gonna go THAT low...

2/03/2006 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger Tova Shulamit said...

Give me a few years and I will be there. I can't believe this Zion.. And I still want you to write a post on my blog. I think what you have to say is important especially to Diaspora.. I am starting to feel the pain of the Israelis. My friend wil be coming there on Sunday for three weeks I hope she is able to shine some light.. How sad..
T

2/03/2006 07:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home