Monday, January 09, 2006

Exclusive: Media Intercepts Heaven-Bound Prayers

I want to add something to what Ze'ev Orenstein wrote concerning the secular media calling for Israelis to pray for PM Ariel Sharon. While I was at work, I was checking out Reuters, and I am truly amused at what I saw. (Disclaimer: I am an easily amused person). Below is a screenshot of what I saw: Now far be it from me to say that these people are not praying for Sharon, but who is Reuters to say that these Jews are davening for him at that moment? They took a bunch of snapshots at the Kotel, and then have the chutzpah to interpret a private dialogue between Hashem and the Jews who are praying? How do they know that these people are at the Kotel to pray for Arik? Did they interview G-d afterwards to get the details of the prayer session? Did they interview those who were praying to get the private details? Call me cynical, but my guess is that they did not. G-d bless Ariel Sharon, and may Hashem remember all of the good he did for us prior to the expulsion, but the secular media has got to get a life. They have went from trashing Torah and the Religious-Right to interpreting our one-on-ones with Hashem. Is this not the epitome of arrogance? Do they have a secret "bat phone" between shamayim and the Reuters headquarters? Or could this simply be another attempt at the media trying to deify another Israeli leader who was willing to betray his own people? I've said it once and I will say it again; I wish nothing but good things for PM Sharon. I hope he recovers fully and retires happy and healthy to his sheep ranch. But with this being said, I won't sit back and pretend as though the expulsion never happened. He is sick, and I am compassionate to anyone who is. It's a proud Jewish virtue to feel such compassion. None-the-less, the media needs to stop acting as though he is the greatest thing that ever happened to us. He was an outstanding general, and a former friend to the so-called "settler movement", but he chose his freedom from prosecution over Jewish lives. When he does finally pass from this earth (and may it be many years from now), he will be remembered as yet another Israeli leader who put Jewish lives in danger for their own personal gain. When I pray for Sharon, this what I think about. I pray that Hashem remembers Ariel Sharon as the Zionist that he was and not as the traitor that he became. I wish him nothing but blessings in the world to come. I hope he lives to have the opportunity to make teshuvah for the expulsion prior to his demise. Why? Because every night when I recite the bedtime Shema, I say: "...L'chol bar Yisrael, v'lo yei'aneish shum adam b'sibasi". This is what seperates the G-d fearing Jew from the secular world. We forgive those who are agree with us and those who do not, equally, with no strings attached. Reuters obviously can't interpret that.

8 Comments:

Blogger ifyouwillit said...

Your sentiments on the media assuming all prayers were for the PM echo a conversation I had on Friday after watching the BBC or reading the paper. I am sure many are doing, but the kotel is viewed by the vast majority as a gate for all prayer, not just in the time of crisis.

(Is crisis the right word?)

I am very proud of all those that have put their political views aside and can pray for Sharon's wellbeing despite his actions this summer. This is a hugely positive charecter trait, and I wasn't expecting it to come out so strong.

Good luck for your JIB Nomination.

1/09/2006 04:12:00 PM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

hey moshe, sorry i had to delete your comment on the post. it showed the comment from me. if you log in as me to the blogger control panel, be sure to log out before you post a comment or it will leave the comment as if it is from me. thanks bro. :-)

1/09/2006 04:53:00 PM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

IfYouWillIt:

I agree wholeheartidly. I think it reveals the true Jewish spirit personally.

1/09/2006 04:54:00 PM  
Blogger Stevin said...

Hashem bless SHaron. May he have many more years of making Palestinians angry.

By the way, Tovya, I voted for you. Mazel tov!

1/09/2006 06:59:00 PM  
Blogger Ittay said...

I wonder why non-belivers turn to prayer at times of struggle like now in Israel. Perpahs the prayers are less for Sharon, and more for the individuals trying to do a tikkun on themsleves.

A refuah shlema to all cholei yisrael

1/09/2006 07:32:00 PM  
Blogger Ze'ev said...

Tovya, excellent point. The all-powerful media knows all...

1/10/2006 12:13:00 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

Tovya, very intuitive on your part to notice yet another media scheme! It makes me, and I'm pretty sure many others sick to hear so many secular Jews, among them t.v. anchors saying they're praying for the health of the bulldozer(the one who bulldozed Jewish houses in Yamit and again in Gush Katif instead of bulldozing terrorist houses accross the land).

I, as a secular Jew don't claim to be praying for Sharon and if I've made this claim please excuse my blunder. That is exactly what such a statement from the mouths of Israel's large secular society is: a naive blunder.

Hope to see u soon, Eitan.

1/10/2006 04:31:00 AM  
Blogger Tovya @ Zion Report said...

Stevin:
========
Thanks for the votes bro, i really appreciate the support!

Ittay:
========
Very possibly.

Mostly though, it's just a matter of halacha and having compassion for the sick.

Either way, it's a good human trait.

Ze'ev:
========
Thanks for the compliment

Eitan:
========
I agree completely. I really have just gotten so sick of the media that the only reason why I have listen to them is so I can steal their content, re-post it on my blog, and then critisize them harshly.

1/10/2006 03:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home